Twelve Schools that Offer Online PHR Classes in the USA
PHR or Professional in Human Resources is an industry certification for people in the human resources management profession. This certification is governed by the HR Certification Institute (HRCI) and indicates that the certified individuals have both practical experience and theoretical knowledge in human resources to pass a thorough examination displaying the mastery of knowledge in that particular field. In order to be certified, work experience of 2 to 4 years is an important eligibility criterion and there are several business schools that offer PHR classes to prepare students for the test.
The PHR certification shows one’s commitment towards the profession, and is a proof of one’s knowledge of the core HR principles. It sets apart one’s resume from the numerous profiles that claim to be proficient in human resources management. Organizations and employers strongly believe that PHR certified professionals are self motivated. It also helps in establishing a network of elite HR professionals across the world.
Classes on PHR help in undertaking the online test (225 multiple choice questions) with relative ease. These questions are primarily based on the six body of knowledge identified by the licensing body. Many schools conduct these classes and some of these, in no particular order, are listed below.
- Villanova University of Pennsylvania has consistently received awards for its academic excellence in MBA and Undergraduate programs. The University partners with the Society of Human Resources Management (SHRM) and offers a 13 week program that makes use of the 2010 SHRM Learning System. This prepares the students for PHR certification. Villanova has a history of exceeding the national pass rate, consistently.
- Cornell’s School of Industrial and Labor Relations conduct online programs to facilitate students to become certified professionals in human resources. These eCornell courses are convenient since they can be taken from one’s home or office. This program comprises of six courses to strengthen the concepts of HR in students.
- The University of North Texas is a public research university in Denton. The Department of Management of UNT’s School of Business offers several courses in human resources. The faculty helps the students to get the PHR as well as the SPHR certification offered by the HRCI.
- The Cameron School of Business – UNCW (University of North Carolina, Wilmington) also offers PHR certification. The business school conducts HR games that prepare college seniors for taking the PHR certification. The HR Games is an annual regional and state level competition. Management seminars are also held. UNCW has won and ranked second in these events that are sponsored by SHRM. UNCW also conducts mock PHR tests to prepare students for the actual exam.
- College of Business of Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania is considered as one of the best business schools in the country. They also conduct classes to enable students to pass the PHR exam successfully and become certified professionals. The students of Shippensburg also compete in the HR Games competitions and come out with flying colors.
- The University of Phoenix was established in 1976 and offers students several options in many disciplines. Besides its presence in 25 states, it is also present in British Columbia and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. They also provide online programs that can be utilized by those who do not have the time to visit day classes. They provide a preparatory course for PHR and aid students in receiving the PHR certification.
- University of Dallas has expanded and updated its HRCI exam preparation course that prepares students for PHR and SPHR certification. This program is offered by them in partnership with SHRM. Subject matter experts have designed the course in a way so as to include application exercises which help in developing decision making skills and specific competencies. They even go a step ahead and guarantee one for passing the exam. If one fails, the course can be retaken completely free of charge.
- The Hawaii Pacific University combines in class discussions, lectures and more importantly, experiential exercises which aid students in completing the PHR test successfully. They also offer online courses.
- Northern Illinois University’s preparatory certification program offers human resources professionals with an elaborate understanding of six functional areas (strategic management, human resource development, risk management, workforce planning and employment, total rewards and employee & labor relations) of human resources management. Their 13 week course has won awards and serves as a study or review course for those desiring a PHR or SPHR certification.
- The SHRM learning system course offered by the Ball State University prepares human resources professionals for PHR and SPHR certification through several tools such as SHRM learning system books, video lectures, online discussions and practice tests.
- The program offered by DePaul University is in partnership with SHRM. The course is designed to accommodate six functional key areas of human resource management and responsibilities that are defined by the 2007 Body of Knowledge (HRCI). Every student can learn from software, printed workbooks, online tools and a classroom experience that is dynamic.
- Michigan University’s School of Labor & Industrial Relations offers PHR and SPHR preparatory certification course that is most sought after in addition to their other HR certification programs.
The PHR certification is increasingly becoming an essential aspect for all human resource professionals. The competition in today’s market is extremely fierce. Most Fortune 500 companies are seeking for professionals with a PHR certification. The role of business schools in preparing students for this test by offering PHR classes is commendable.
Like this article? You will love getting my Free PHR-SPHR Study Guide. No spam, and I won't give your email address to any other company.